Specialisms tagged are
Choose your location
& Middle East
United Arab Emirates
Global Hays Tech
This field is required.
About Hays Technology
Expertise by Technology
Expertise by Sector
Get in Touch
Hays Technology Insights
17 Questions on Salesforce - Simon Maskrey
Simon Maskrey, Senior Global Partner Manager at Salesforce for Trailheads
14 Days Ago
In our new series, we ask those working at Salesforce for their stories and advice - both about the platform and anything else!
1) What was your first job?
Restaurant Manager – which is where I learned about customer service
2) How did you end up working in Technology?
I sort of fell into it, I started off selling Technology and was no good at it at all! I saw an opportunity in the company I was in to transfer into their training division and become an account manager – that’s where the journey started!
3) What positives do you see that have come out of the COVID pandemic?
I think it’s helped to re-evaluate values and what is really important to me.
4) What is the best tech innovation you have come across in the last 5 years?
Well it’s about to launch next week - Salesforce Plus – our new streaming content platform.
5) What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever given or got?
I actually gave someone this bit of advice last week – when talking to someone who had ‘failed’ their certification exam… I was explaining that you haven’t ‘failed’ your exam, you just haven’t passed it this time, what you have got from this is a measure of exactly where you’re at. Failure isn’t final, it’s a measure of where you are on your learning journey. Think of it as feedback.
6) How did you end up working in/with Salesforce?
I was approached by Salesforce directly and, well when they’d like to talk, you tend to listen. You don’t have to go, but you tend to listen.
7) How do you use Salesforce in your job today?
Unsurprisingly we use it to run our whole business!! Personally, I use it every day to manage my relationship with my customers.
8) Any advice you can give for people starting out in Salesforce?
Sign up to Trailheads and start learning, you don’t have to do the technical stuff at first, you can start with the soft skills content.
9) How did Trailhead start?
It actually started in Marketing and it’s grown from there – more than 1000 badges and content created in-house but a huge part of it is made up of contributions from people across the ecosystem.
10) Are there any good Salesforce resources (websites, groups, meetups etc) that you would recommend?
The Community Groups are great, I can’t stress that enough. Also,
11) What’s the coolest thing you’ve ever seen Salesforce used for?
There’s lots of cool thing but probably this Non-profit org called
who work to empower disadvantaged girls by providing a home and education in Bangalore.
12) To what extent are the Salesforce Values felt in your day to day, working life?
I know lots of companies pay lip-service to their values and they can seem like a bit of an after-thought. Here some of the core values around trust, openness and inclusiveness are really and truly felt in everything we do. They’re fundamental to the business
13) What do you wish was better about Salesforce?
Something we’re saying from the top of the organisation down, we need to be ‘easy to do business with’
14) What do most companies get wrong when it comes to Salesforce?
Would say that normally it’s not having a proper strategy to train the users to maximise the ROI.
15) What’s hot in Salesforce right now?
Slack – collaborate and communicate with everyone. Slack first.
What tasks drive you mad?
I hate ironing!
If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be?
It would definitely be close to sea. Chichester would be lovely – 10 mins to the beach and 10 mins to the theatre.
Please sign in to comment.
How did you get that job?
Is "ethical" automation realistic?
17 Questions on Salesforce - Christine Marshall